Friday, August 3, 2012

Delphi Method vs. NGT (Nominal Group Technique)


Delphi Method vs. NGT (Nominal Group Technique)

The Delphi Method is very useful to the IS profession but I would have to say that I am very partial to NGT. The reason being is that I like to use NGT when evaluating course and instructional design development at Kaplan University.  NGT is a curriculum educational evaluation tool that some of the educators at Kaplan University like to use for evaluating course development.  Granted, the Delphi method is often used in the quantitative way and it also can be used in a qualitative approach or mixed methods.  The Delphi method in a nutshell is a perfect fit for IS research projects and help researchers get a deeper understanding of the IS realm as a whole.  As computer science students, the Delphi Method would be very useful but for the educators in class, I would recommend the NGT.  These are two strong elements that have very strong purposes to assist the graduate student in the appropriate aspect of study.  I would use the Delphi with both closed and open collaboration. I would definitely use NGT in an innovative way when I design instructional courses for online universities. This way, I can go all out with my creativity and curriculum effective teaching methods.

References:


Kuo-Hung, T., L. Shi-Jer, et al. (2006). Using Online Nominal Group Technique to Implement Knowledge Transfer. Journal of Engineering Education 95(4): 335-345.

Thomas, G. (2009).  The Delphi technique: A method for testing complex and multifaceted topics. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business 2(1): 112-130.

No comments:

Post a Comment